Sunday, August 23, 2015

Camping and another Farmers Market


At the beginning of August we were able to get out of the city for a couple of days on a camping trip. We had a great time.


Plus, we got to check another Farmers Market off our list!



After a lazy Friday morning of sleeping in and packing up the car, we were off. We took the ferry to Southworth, with a quick stop at Vashon Island. This was Woo’s first ferry ride. I don’t think he liked it very much.





Once we were on the Peninsula we started heading north, but we soon realized we hadn’t eaten very much that day. And, boy were we hungry! So, we took a detour to Poulsbo, which is this lovely little Norwegian town (Vikings!) on Liberty Bay.



There we stopped at one of the best places to get fish and chips, JJ’s Fish House. It was already getting pretty hot, so we also enjoyed the shade and some cold beer.




 I was so hungry, I almost forgot to take a picture of my meal before I ate it all.



Back on the road, we made our way up the east side of the Peninsula to Fort Townsend State Park.




The campground is fairly small and low key. This particular park, although right on the Sound, doesn’t have any boat ramps, so it is very quiet. We were happy to be staying at a super chill and laid-back park.




The park only has 27 tent sites, and they are nicely sized and spread out from each out, so you get some privacy. So far, this has been our favorite campground in Washington.




Once we unpacked and set up camp, we set out to explore. Woo really enjoyed this part.




Jeff was in charge of dinner Friday night.




Saturday we went into Port Townsend to check out the Farmers Market.


Sadly, it turned out they don’t allow dogs at the market, so Jeff and I had to take turns hanging out with Woo. This meant I didn’t get a chance to talk to the farmers or producers like I usually do. But, I still got to check out the market, and its amazing variety of food and products.





We were a bit enamored with Port Townsend, and hope to visit again very soon without the dog. Hopefully, next time I will get to spend more time at the market. However, I was able to pick up some pesto, fresh pasta and cherry tomatoes for our dinner.




Jeff grabbed us some Paella and a crab cake for lunch along with some pastries for dessert and beer from one of our favorite local craft beer producers, Propolis, who happens to be located in Port Townsend. Overall, not a bad shopping trip.



In the afternoon we explored some of the campground’s many hiking trails. Woo had a great time.







Back at camp we rested. Woo was worn out from our busy day.



Then it was my turn to make dinner. I made a tasty feast with the items I got at the Farmers Market and Jeff’s homemade sausage.







We had a great time, and I can’t wait to get back to the Peninsula again real soon. It was hard returning to the noise and heat of Seattle. Although, by the time we got back I really needed a shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment