Saturday, December 12, 2015

Family and Friends

Family, Friends, loved ones. This is a huge subject. I’ll try to do it justice.

Over the years, so many wonderful people have influenced my life. I am grateful for each and every one of you. George Matthew Adams said, “There is no such thing as a ‘self-made’ man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the make-up of our character and of our thoughts, as well as our success.” Oh, how true this is.

I look back over the years and I see many faces past and present that mean so much to me. I know I have not done even close to a good enough job telling any of you how special you are and how grateful I am for how you have touched my life.

My parents and siblings have been so supportive though my life. I am thankful to have a strong family that is there for each other through the good and the bad. My parents believing in me, and giving me the support, strength and determination I needed to get through school. My sisters and brother are some of my dearest friends. I go to them for advice and support.


Growing up in South Dakota there were many friends and teachers who believed in me. People who saw the potential deep down inside that shy, stubborn, selfish and often pain-in-the-ass-girl. People who gave me the strength to believe in myself. People who taught me that I could do whatever I wanted with my life.

The amazing friends I met in college who helped draw me out of my shell. The Professors at the University of Kansas who went beyond teaching the course curriculum to also teaching life lessons. Setting out on my own far from home was very scary, but it was one of the best things I’ve ever experienced because I met incredible people along the way who changed my life and opened my mind.

The many, many wonderful friends over the years in Lawrence that were like family. Most, but not all of whom, I worked with through E.M.U. Theatre. Those were wonderful years, filled with warm memories. Oh, how I miss you guys. Leaving you behind was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. You changed me, for the better, thank you.


Jeff’s family, who were incredibly supportive of us as we moved to Seattle. I don’t think we would have been able to make the move without them. I am so thankful to have married into such a warm and welcoming family.


All the amazing people I have met since moving to Seattle. People that have given me a chance and even a home when I didn’t have one. Seattle University and everyone in the MFA program for being such a strong base of support. Theater Schmeater’s staff and board for taking me in and letting me be part of its journey.

The many wonderful people I have been blessed to meet at my current job, all working towards a common goal of a stronger Seattle community. I learn something new every day at work and my favorite part of the job is the incredible people I meet. I feel blessed to work with so very wise people that are willing to take the time to pass their knowledge on to me.

Finally, my best friend, my travel companion, gardener, lover, handyman, editor, adviser, and person I can’t wait to get back to whenever I am away from-my husband and life-partner, Jeff. It’s funny how I look back at life and I forget that he wasn’t even in mine until I was 23. It feels as though he has always been there. I don’t know what I would do without you. 

So many people come into our lives and they have a profound impact. Sometimes they are there for just the briefest of moments and sometime they are with us for a lifetime. People come and go, but they change us, teach us, influence us, and love us. Often we fail to notice this, but it is what makes us who we are. 


I know I am failing to include every person that has touched my life, but I promise it doesn’t mean you aren’t in my heart and mind. I am ever so grateful for each and every single one of you beautiful people. Thank you.  Shine on you crazy diamonds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment