Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Positivity!


Sunday, Jeff and I participated in the Green Lake Gobble. My first 5K was a Thanksgiving run, and since that time I have tried to do one every year. This year I had hoped to make the Green Lake Gobble my first 10K, but instead I walked the 5K. It was depressing, but I knew I would be even more disappointed if I didn’t go at all.

But why was I walking the 5K and not running? And wasn’t one of my goals this year to run a 10K? Yes, it was, and yes I should have been running. But, I’ve been a bum this year and slacked off on my strength training. That led to my leg problem resurfacing. For that reason I decided in September to take a four month break from running. Therefore, I found myself walking the Green Lake Gobble this year.

As I mentioned in my last post, I’m struggling with motivation and self-control. With six weeks (apparently I miss counted in my previous post) remaining in the year I felt that perhaps a shift in my mental state would help improve my state of being. Additionally, the world could really do with a bit more love and joy! Thus, it’s time for some positivity. For the next few weeks I will pick a different positive subject, for which I am grateful, to write about.

Looking at my experience with the race this weekend, I can either feel bad about walking or I can focus on the positive. I’m choosing the latter. I got outside and enjoyed a beautiful walk around Green Lake. It was something I did with my husband. I felt this amazing surge of joy because I was surrounded by a group of people who enjoy exercise. I accomplished something, and I now have a goal for next year.


I could easily feel sorry for myself, or I could find the joy and beauty in this experience. After this weekend, I feel amazing and motivated to keep pushing forward. I am grateful for this learning experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment